Never Leave Your Dog in the Car on a Hot Day!
News / July 30th, 2019

The proverbial “dog days of summer” are here, and The Animal Haven in North Haven would like to remind you that your dog can die in a hot car, even if you’re gone for only a few minutes. Across the country each year, thousands of animals are needlessly lost this way.  “We think  we’re doing our beloved pets a favor by bringing them along for a car ride on a hot day,” says Dr. Arnie Cary, DVM, and board member of The Animal Haven, “but when a five-minute errand turns into a 10-15 minute one, the result can be lethal for the pet.”  Cracking the windows to let in air is not sufficient, nor is parking in a shady spot—as the sun moves that shade can become full sun within minutes. According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, the temperature inside your car in the sun will increase by 20 degrees in just 10 minutes. You may think it’s a pleasant 80 degrees, but that becomes 100 in the car in that short time. In 20 minutes it can increase by 30 degrees to 11...

World Zoonosis Day is in July. Find out what this means for you and your pets!
News / July 1st, 2019

World Zoonosis Day is observed each year in July. Although it sounds like we should be celebrating, we need to take a closer look at what “zoonosis” means. A “zoonotic” disease is one which is transmitted to humans from animals.  Rabies is perhaps the best-known example, but there are many others as well, all of which can have serious consequences for our health.  “The good news,” says Dr. Arnie Cary, DVM, and board member of The Animal Haven in North Haven, “is that proper and normal hygiene, common sense, and routine veterinary care, including vaccinations for our dogs and cats, is usually all it takes to keep both us and them safe.”
 
Rabies is the most serious zoonotic disease, and can be fatal to both humans and animals if not addressed in time. To protect yourself and your animals, be sure to follow proper vaccination guidelines for outdoor pets, who are most likely to be exposed to the reservoir of wildlife rabies, but also for indoor cats, who can be exposed to bats that...

​MICRO-CHIP YOUR PET FOR PEACE OF MIND
News / April 26th, 2019

Spring is the time for outdoor activities, as we enjoy the warmth after a cold winter.  Your pet probably feels the same, but he or she may also think it’s time to try to escape the house or take a nice long hike somewhere, without you.  If your pet has ever escaped and wandered off  to go exploring on his or her own, it’s time to consider getting it micro-chipped. May is National Chip Your Pet Month, and Dr. Arnie Cary, DVM, board member of The Animal Haven, wants you to know that chipping your pet is the best way to assure a happy ending to a lost-pet story. “We’ve heard many stories of pets who have strayed from their owners, and been returned to them because they were micro-chipped,” says Dr. Cary. “Unfortunately, there are many more stories that don’t end so happily, because people don’t take advantage of micro-chipping.”
 
Micro-chipping is easy and relatively inexpensive.  The chips are about the size of a piece of rice and are injected, like a vaccination, into the loose s...

April is Heartworm Awareness Month
News / March 24th, 2019
There’s No Heart  in Heartworms!  
North Haven, CT (April 2, 2019) 
 
Spring is finally here, and as we look forward to even warmer weather, we also need to be aware of the mosquito population that will arrive with it.  Mosquitos can transmit heartworms from an infected dog, and sometimes cats, to other dogs and cats.  April is Heartworm Awareness Month, and Dr. Arnie Cary, The Animal Haven’s board member and a retired veterinarian wants you to be aware of the risk. "Heartworm disease is an ongoing and very serious threat to dogs and some cats in Connecticut," says Dr. Cary.
 
Heartworms are foot-long worms that live inside a dog’s heart and produce microfilaria, or microscopic baby worms, that circulate through the bloodstream.  If a mosquito bites an infected dog, it ingests the microfilaria.  These baby worms then mature in the mosquito within 2 weeks.  When the mosquito bites another animal, the larvae enter its bloodstream and grow into adult worms within about 6...
March is Pet Poison Prevention Month
News / March 14th, 2019

“Death by chocolate” may be an amusing term that we apply to those extra-chocolatey confections we love to indulge in.  But the term should be taken literally when it comes to our pets. “Chocolate is highly toxic to dogs, and even a small amount can make them sick.  If your dog eats a large quantity of chocolate, it could cause death,” says Dr. Arnie Cary, DVM, board member of The Animal Haven in North Haven. The darker the chocolate, the worse it is. This is because of a greater presence of an alkaloid called theobromine, the toxic element in the confection.
 
March is Pet Poison Prevention Month, so this is a great time to think about other foods you may be giving your pet as a treat, but which can land him or her in the emergency room. One is xylitol, a sugar substitute found in “sugar free” gum, candy, and baked goods.  It can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar which triggers trembling, seizures and a collapse, and can result in significant liver failure in dogs. Another i...

Top